Whether you believe it or not, The Old Farmer’s Almanac predicted this upcoming winter to be colder than the previous year. But before we talk about another Polar Vortex, let’s focus on the current season and the preparations you should make in your home. While some of you are enjoying pumpkin-spiced foods & beverages, watching football on Sunday’s, and heading to the cider mill on the weekend, you tend to forget that you need to prepare your home for the colder weather before it’s too late.
Check these tips off your to-do list this fall:
- Disconnect your garden hose(s). After you drain them, store them somewhere that doesn’t get too cold.
- If you have interior shutoff valves that lead to your outdoor faucet, close them and drain them. However, if you’re concerned that your outdoor faucet won’t last through the fall and winter, give us a call. We can install a frost-proof outdoor faucet for you.
- Visually inspect your outdoor faucets for drips and leaks—this is especially important to fix before the temperatures drop and we get our first freeze. You could end up with a mess in your home if the leaks aren’t detected and fixed.
- Turn your water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees for optimal performance in the colder months.
- Inspect your sump pump. Before the snow starts to fall, we’ll more than likely get a few good rain storms. Follow these simple tips to test your system.
- If you have a boiler system, in which case you have radiator or baseboard heat, you’ll want to get that serviced to ensure it will function properly. We have technicians who have many years of experience working with boiler systems. Read more about the boiler services we offer on our website.
- Learn where the main water valve is. It may come in handy to teach the whole family how to shut off the water main and under toilets and sinks before a disaster strikes!
No matter the season or the weather, we are always here to service your home! Give us a call today or schedule a service online to get your home ready for the fall. We’re able to provide you with Same Day Service, 7 Days A Week—and remember, there are no additional fees on the weekend.