It’s summertime, and the heat is on! This month has been particularly hot and humid, and meteorologists have labeled the upcoming weather as a “heat dome”. Fun fact: a “heat wave” passes through the region within days whereas a “heat dome” stays for a longer period of time—lucky us! With that said: how do we beat the heat and make sure we’re staying hydrated? We suggest you keep reading…
- Heading out of town for vacation? Do yourself a favor and keep your air conditioning on, but raise the temperature to at least 78 degrees. Additionally, keep your blinds and curtains closed to block out those UV rays that will surely heat your home! As for plumbing, follow these plumbing tips while on vacation.
- Cook smart! Did you know that an oven baking cookies can raise your home’s thermostat by 10 degrees? Avoid cooking on your stove or in the oven, and try utilizing your grill or crockpot. These options will leave your house cool.
- Use your fans and vents! Even if you have your AC on, be sure to use your fans as well. Note: Fans don’t actually cool a room; they make you feel cooler, so be sure to shut them off before you leave. Additionally, when taking a shower make sure to keep your bathroom vent on. This helps sticky moisture escape.
- If you’re outside for an extended period of time, make sure you stay hydrated! This is especially true for those who work outside (yes, plumbers, this includes you), children playing outside or in sports games, and even while you’re sitting on the beach. Heat exhaustion can happen quickly and drinking water consistently can help combat that!
- Looking to fill up a pool or turn on the sprinkler? The summertime is known for extra water usage, but don’t allow your hose bib (or outdoor faucet) continue to leak! Make sure you take care of the leak quickly—especially before the winter season approaches.
- Embrace cold(er) showers! Most of the time our customers call us to fix or replace a water heater that produces those cold showers, but with the heat outside it might sound a little bit more appealing.
At Len The Plumber, we’re always looking for ways to keep our customer’s cool, which is why we provide your homes with working water sources! If you need us this weekend, or any day of the week, feel free to give us a call anytime—day or night. And remember, there’s never an extra charge for evenings, weekends, and holiday appointments.