Basement flooding is all too common in Maryland — especially with the amount of rainfall we experienced last week. It is important to guard your home from flooding and a cost effective way to do this is by installing a sump pump and a backup system. However, for those homeowners who already have a sump pump and backup as a first line of defense, it’s important to make sure your system is working before it’s too late.
Here are a few tips for you to check if your sump pump is working.
- Locate the outside pipe that catches the water as it drains from the pump. Make sure the inside of the pipe doesn’t have any dirt or debris clogging the drain.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket or a large cooking pot with water. Slowly pour the water into the sump pit and watch the water level within the pit.
- The float on the sump should rise and the pump will kick on well before the water reaches the top of the pit. As the pit empties, the system should turn off.
- If the float doesn’t rise or the pump doesn’t turn on/off automatically the pump should be further inspected.
- This may seem like common sense, but make sure the pump is plugged into a working outlet. Sometimes damp areas of a basement can cause electrical outlets to trip.
- Repeat these steps every 2-3 months!
It’s also important to know that sump pumps rely on electricity to operate.
If the power goes out your pump will not work so consider installing a battery-powered backup system. This will kick on as soon as a power outage occurs — a charged backup system can last up to 7 hours. Installing a battery-powered backup system is like getting extra insurance on your system. It’s always a good idea to have backup in case of a power outage! You can also consider a water backup system. We install both and are happy to help you decide which option is best for your home.
If you don’t already have a sump pump, and you’re tired of mopping up water and propping up your basement belongings to prevent water danger — not to mention associated problem with mold and excess humidity-then you should consider installing a system.