Having a garbage disposal allows you to dispose of (select) food waste easily into your sink. While it does add convenience to your kitchen cleanup, there is the possibility of it leaking. Garbage disposals can leak for multiple reasons, but here are the most common causes of these leaks.
The Sink Flange Is Loose
The piece that connects the garbage disposal to the sink drain is called the sink flange. Leaks commonly occur here when the connection between the sink flange and the sink drain isn’t a tight one.
- Check the mounting bolts connecting the flange to the drain and make sure they are fastened tightly.
- Check the plumber’s putty holding them together. If it has been compromised, loosen the bolts, add new plumber’s putty, and retighten the bolts.
In many cases, the drain pipe from the dishwasher is connected to the garbage disposal. This drain pipe will remove any excess food debris and water from the dishwasher into the garbage disposal.
- Check that the clamp attached to the hose of the drain pipe has a secure fit on the disposal.
- Inspect the hose itself; look for any cracks or if it’s dried out and hard. If so, replace the hose before running the dishwasher again.
Faulty or Out of Place Body
Depending on the age and use of the disposal, it could be worn out, damaged, or shifted out of its normal position.
- Inspect the body of the garbage disposal and look for any cracks or wet spots on the body of the unit. If you come to find that the disposal is cracked, the entire unit might need to be replaced.
- Garbage disposals live underneath the sink alongside most of the cleaning supplies in your home. If the disposal has been knocked or bumped into, it could have shifted out of place. Check to see that the disposal is sitting upright. If it has shifted; realign it, inspect the seals and plumber’s putty, and reseal it if necessary.
Fixing a garbage disposal leak isn’t tough to do, but you do have to know where to look and how to go about fixing it. When your garbage disposal or sink plumbing needs repair, contact Len The Plumber. To learn more or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (800) 950-4619.