Over the course of the next few days, the Baltimore-Washington region is expected to receive some significant rainfall and thunderstorms. While we’ve been lucky with warmer temperatures and a relatively dry September, we’re due for some rain. It’s been reported that as much as 4-6 inches of rain could fall tonight into Friday morning across central Maryland—is your home and sump pump prepared?
How To Test Your Sump Pump
- Locate the outside pipe that catches the water as it drains from the pump. Make sure the inside of the pipe doesn’t have any dirt or debris clogging the drain.
- Fill a 5-gallon bucket or a large cooking pot with water. Slowly pour the water into the sump pit and watch the water level within the pit.
- The float on the sump should rise and the pump will kick on well before the water reaches the top of the pit. As the pit empties, the system should turn off.
- If the float doesn’t rise or the pump doesn’t turn on/off automatically the pump should be further inspected.
- This may seem like common sense, but make sure the pump is plugged into a working outlet. Sometimes damp areas of a basement can cause electrical outlets to trip.
Tips For Your Home
- Clear your areaway drain/outside stairwell drain and window well drains. Debris, leaves, and other outside elements can cause these drains to clog. It’s important to check any drain that will help reduce the risk of water building up and causing pressure on the foundation of your home!
- If you have valuable possessions in cardboard boxes on the lowest level of your home, consider putting them in a waterproof bin or place them high enough that water can’t reach it.
- If you’re able to, check your gutters and the downspouts. Make sure that they are free-flowing and leading the water away from your house.
While it’s still unknown how much rain the region will get and the likelihood of flash flooding, we always want our customers to be prepared! If you happen to experience a flooded basement, use these simple tips. In the event that you need us, we’re always here to provide you with Same Day Service, 7 Days a Week!