If you’re frequently dealing with sewer line backups, here’s a look at what may be going wrong—and what you can do to fix it and stop the backups for good.
4 Reasons Sewer Lines Keep Backing Up
- Clogs, clogs, clogs: Recurring clogs can be one reason that sewer lines keep backing up. You’ll experience persistent clogs if things like oil, grease, hair, “flushable” wipes, or other items keep entering your drains and sewer line. The good news is that this is one of the easiest problems to fix. Simply take extra precaution to avoid letting these items go down your drains and toilet. You can also install drain catches throughout your home to help catch items before they go down a drain.
- Sewer line damage: After clearing clogs and being careful to avoid future clogs, you can continue having sewer line backups if your sewer line is cracked, has holes in it, or is otherwise damaged. That’s because a cracked sewer line can let dirt and rocks in, creating a new blockage and forcing your wastewater to back up into your home (because it has nowhere else to go).
- Tree roots: Another way your sewer line can become blocked and back up is with tree root infiltration. If tree roots are growing near your sewer line, they can damage the line, causing misalignments where buildup of solid matter can lead to blockages. When that happens and the line leaks, the roots can get nutrients from the leakage and start growing toward it—they may even grow into cracks, making them worse and creating new, bigger blockages. As the roots grow, they can eventually prevent any wastewater from passing through. Plus, if the roots aren’t properly removed, they can grow back, causing the same problem and recurring sewer backups.
- A broken, sagging, or collapsed sewer line: Sewer lines can break for all sorts of reasons, from pipe aging and corrosion to shifting soil, heavy above-ground construction, and more. No matter how a sewer line breaks, you’re sure to experience backups in your home until your sewer line is fixed.
How to Fix Sewer Lines That Keep Backing Up
The only way to stop recurring sewer backups is to identify the exact problem with the line. And the best way to do that is with a professional sewer line camera inspection. This gives a plumber the opportunity to see:
- What’s going on inside your sewer line
- The condition of the line, including vulnerable areas, corrosion, and damage
- Exactly where in the line the problem lies
With that essential information, the best-fit solution can be determined. That may mean:
- Traditional sewer line repair or replacement: If your sewer lines are bellied, sagging, or collapsed, traditional sewer line repair or replacement methods that require excavation will be necessary.
- Trenchless sewer line repair or replacement: If your sewer line is still relatively intact, this less invasive, no-dig method can be the best option for restoring your system.
The best way to find out what’s causing your recurring sewer line backups and put a stop to them is to contact Len The Plumber.
Schedule Sewer Line Service Now: Contact Len The Plumber
Len The Plumber can diagnose and repair any sewer line problem! With more than 20 years’ experience and state-of-the-art equipment, our expert plumbers are the team you can trust when it’s time to put a stop to sewer backups and other problems.
Call 800-950-4619 or contact Len The Plumber online now for sewer line service. We proudly offer:
- 24-hour emergency service at no extra charge
- 2-hour response times for drain and sewer emergencies
- FREE, upfront, written estimates
- Exceptional service and top-quality plumbing solutions!
With Len The Plumber, you can always count on:
- Fast response times for drain and sewer emergencies
- Zero extra fees for after-hours or emergency service
- First-class service and the highest-quality solutions!
We invite you to check out our glowing reviews to see why we’re a leading plumbing company in Maryland, Northern Virginia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Washington, D.C. And we encourage you to contact us whenever you need plumbing service, so you can experience our excellence for yourself!